Sunday, July 20, 2014

Life Update

Hello all! So here's my promised life update for anyone who cares to read. =) I made a video on my YouTube channel here



So here's the basics: 

I was diagnosed in March 2014 with Graves Disease. Basically, it's an auto-immune disease in which my thyroid is overactive-hyperthyroidism. Some of the symptoms of Graves disease are rapid heart rates, swelling of the thyroid gland, sweating and excessive weight loss. I have been very fortunate to experience almost no symptoms. In fact, the only reason I found out I have Grave's is because I went into the Dr. complaining about my esophagus. The Dr told me that I have a hiatal hernia. **I know you are getting jealous now!** 

If you follow me on Instagram, then you probably saw this.

So....the Dr prescribed methimazole, which I had severely bad reactions too. It made me break out in hives and it was miserable. So then they put me on a PTU. I have to take it 3 times a day and I won't lie....I'm not good at getting it three times a day. But so far, I haven't broken out into hives---so yay!




In my video, I also spoke of having an opportunity to teach in public schools in Nashville. I moved back to Nashville, from Virginia, at the end of May. I began a program called The New Teacher Program. They have program sites in many states. Virginia didn't have one and Nashville does. My husband and I had been thinking of moving back for several years and this just seemed like the perfect opportunity! I applied for the program in October 2013 and was officially accepted in December 2013! I had to take two Praxis tests: Elementary Education and English for Speakers of Other Languages. 

I completed a really intensive 5 weeks program---we started with about 160 fellows and less than half completed it with the ability to continue into TNTP academy this upcoming school year as well as teach full time. It's been really tough and a lot of sacrifices have been made, but I got through it and am excited to announce that I will be teaching Kindergarten this fall working mostly with English Language Learners in Nashville!! If anyone is thinking about applying for Teaching Fellows in Nashville or any other city it's in, please feel free to email me and ask as many questions as you like. =) It's been a great experience and I'm happy to help anyone else through it.  I just finished another additional 2 week training called Gear Up and I'm preparing to begin teaching soon! In TN, the kids go back to school on August 6th! 




 I am going to try to start blogging more frequently---I have really missed it! I told myself when I started my YouTube channel that I wouldn't give up blogging---but we all know how that went! I don't often have time to film videos either....and I think it will be easier to keep up blogging. I've got a lot of reviews planned so be on the look out for those! Thank you for your support! It is much appreciated!

Stay NV'ious! ';)


No comments: